Dog treats are the secret of dog training.
87% of dog trainers use treats in almost every training session, because they are very effective.
"Every puppy love dog treats, and every adult dog also love treats.
I think everyone loves being rewarded for the work done."
Who does not love a treat? Do not overthink;
Your dearest dog is waiting for one. Reward his efforts and make him love you more with a tasty dog Treat. :)
Should I use dog treats for training
my dog ?
It is a question that arises in almost every individual’s mind while they are training their dogs.
The answer to using dog treats in training sessions, has both positive and negative aspects.
We will present both sides of the picture in front of you, the pros and cons of using dog treats, so that you can come up with a better and informed decision.
Training your dog is a crucial yet obligation. The time you will spend in training your dog will be worthy as it will not only make your life easy but also the life of people around you comfortable.
Experts all around the world highly suggest Positive Reinforcement as the best Training method to start with your puppy or dog.
Using positive reinforcement and clicker training to train your dog means you reward the behaviors you like and ignore the behaviors you do not like.
The reward makes your dog more likely to repeat the behavior you want him to do.
Positive reinforcement relies on the use of verbal cues, treats, hand signals,clicker and toys to teach new behaviors or correct bad habits and achieve desired behaviors.
Dog Treats are considered a a significant part of dog training that will make the training quick and smooth.
Well, I Guarantee you that dog treats will make your life easy.
Keep track of the dog treats you are giving your dog.
It is not recommended just to visit the market and pick up the dog treat that appeals to you.
A little research will not only result in your dog loving the treat and being very very motivated during training sessions, but will also keep him safe and healthy.
For keeping your dog happy and healthy, it is important that the food you are feeding your dog is full of nutrients.
Keep in mind that one food item good for one dog breed, may not be that effective for other dog breeds.
How To Use Dog Treats Correctly in Dog Training [ Tips ]
Pros Of dog treats in dog training
Cons Of dog treats in dog training
Common mistakes with dog treats
Dog training is a rigorous process that changes over some time.
The training and feeding regime of your dog may be different from your friend’s dog.
Therefore, search out for best methods and ways of feeding your dog as per his age and breed. Making errors and mistakes is a natural human behavior and not something to stress over.
Following are common mistakes that individuals make while feeding treats to their dogs.
Different Types of Dog Treats
There are various things that you need to consider while choosing the right treatment for your dog.
Your main preferences while choosing the food for your dog must be the type and flavor of the treat as per your dog choices.
There are a wide range and types of treats are available in the market that makes it difficult to go for the best available option.
In order to come up with the right decision, you must know about the different type of dog training treats that are available in the market.
If you are enjoying this blog post, please share it! for you is only a click, For me means a lot. Thanks
Natural Treats :
Your dog is craving for the chew that has great taste and appealing aroma. The carnivore tendency of your dog attracts him towards the natural meaty chews and bones, but some dogs also enjoy fruits and vegetables :)
Raw Food :
Rawhides are considered as a classic canine treat. The rawhide strengthens the jaws and works as a natural teeth cleaner.
There are knotted, rolled, compressed and braided rawhides available in the market. Consider the choices of your dog before choosing the type of rawhide for him.
I personally give my dogs Hot dogs, raw beef meat small sliced, or just cooked chicken or turkey breast.
Biscuits & Cookies :
The dog biscuits are one of the treats that your pup loves the most.
Dog Cookies are like chocolate for us humans.
Homemade Dog Treat Recipes:
Spoiling your dog can be costly for you by purchasing dog training treats.
You can replace these dog treats with homemade treats for your dog.
You can add a unique touch and magnificent flavour to the treat.
By making use of common ingredients like peanut butter, honey, wheat flour, and meat, you can come up with some of the delicious treats for your dog.
Your dog may also have allergies that can make it difficult for you to purchase the dog treats available in the market.
What Human foods dog can & can't eat
Following are a few easy-to-make recipes that can help you in making dog treats quickly at your home.
8 Homemade Dog Treats Recipes
Peanut butter cookies (no-bake)
- Take an electric mixer and add pumpkin puree, milk and medium butter in it
- Beat the mixture at medium to high speed for two minutes
- Add oats gradually in the mixture and beat until combined
- Use a cookie scoop and make 1 1/2 inches balls by using it
- Put the ball in leftover oats and press firmly for coating oats on the balls
- Put a lid on the bowl and place for one hour in your refrigerator
Wild Rice Chicken Balls
- Preheat your oven at a temperature of 350 degrees F
- Take a mixing bowl and combine all ingredients in it until mixed perfectly
- Use a spoon and put one spoon of rice in each cavity and fill the cavity till the top
- Put the tray in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes
- Let the mixture cool down before serving
- Note: You can store these rice balls for 3 to 5 days in an airtight jar.
- Take a large bowl and mix all the ingredients
- Make a ball-like shape from the dough
- Take out dough from the bowl and roll it on a flat top
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the tempting treats for your dog
- Place the cookies on a baking tray and bake it for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven off and leave the cookies in the oven for the next 10 minutes
- Preheat your oven at a temperature of 325 degrees F.
- Take a blender and add oats into it, pulse oats until it turns into a flour-like powder
- Take a large bowl, add mint and parsley, water, oil and egg in it
- Add the oat flour and mix all the ingredients
- Knead the oat dough various time and place on a flat surface
- Use a rolling pin and flatten the dough
- You can use a knife or cookie cutter for cutting 1-inch mints (you can cut it in any size as per your choice)
- Take a tray, lay parchment paper and place the mints at a distance from one another
- Bake the mints for 40 minutes
- Before serving, let the mints cool down
- You can preheat your oven at a temperature of 400 degrees
- Take 2 baking sheets and line with parchment paper
- Take a bowl and add yeast, salt, wheat germ, and flour
- Combine all these ingredients
- You can place canola oil in a separate bowl
- You can knead the dough on a flat surface for 2 minutes
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin
- Use a cutter and get round cutouts
- Transfer the treats to the baking sheets
- Firmly press your thumb on the treat, making its impression, then by using your fingers make four circles on the top of your thumb impression
- Repeat the same process with all the other treats
- Now freeze these treats for 18 minutes
- Bake the treats for 20 minutes by changing sides of the treats and brushing treats with chicken stock
- Turn off your oven, and keep the cookies in the oven for next 40 minutes
Banana and almond bites
- Preheat your oven at a temperature of 350 degrees F
- Take a baking sheet and lay parchment paper in it
- Take a large bowl, add bananas in it
- Mash the bananas by using a fork
- Add remaining ingredients in the bowl and mix everything
- Make sure that the consistency of the batter is gooey and thick
- Spoon out one bite-sized dollop and put on the baking tray
- Put the tray in the oven for 7 minutes and turn over the bites after 7 minutes
- After 5 minutes, turn off oven and take the bites out
- Let the bites cool down
Note: You can use these bites for the next 7-9 days if placed in a moisture-free area
Frozen apple pops
- Take apples and dice apples in small pieces but make sure you remove the apple seeds
- Take a blender, add apple slices, water and yogurt and blend all the ingredients
- Blend the mixture until it has a good consistency
- Take an ice cube tray and pour the mixture in the tray
- Put the tray in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours
Note: Give only one apple frozen pop to your dog in a day. You can keep the leftover pops in the container and can keep in the freezer for a week.
Sugar-free dog treat
- Preheat your oven at a temperature of 350 degrees F.
- Take a jellyroll pan and lay parchment paper in it
- Take a food processor and place the liver in it
- Pulse the liver until it is chopped finely
- If there is room left in the processor, add eggs and flour
- Blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth
- Spread the mixture on the pan evenly
- Bake the mixture in the oven for 16 minutes
- Let the treat cool down and then cut it into small squares
- The treats will look like a sponge
Note: This treat is perfect if your dog is diabetic. You can store it in the airtight jar for a few days.
How to give your dog a treat Correctly
The best technique for giving a treat to your dog is to hold the treat in your two fingers and allow your dog to sniff it.
Let your dog know that you have to treat with you.
When you are allowing your dog to smell anything, you are activating the most important part of your dog, his brain
Remember that in terms of canine, nose first means let them smell, then eyes let them see and examine, and ears last.
- After smelling is done, it is time for eyes.
- Hold the treat right on the top of his nose and move from his back towards his shoulders.
- Take the treat slowly so that your dog can still sniff it.
- When your dog jumps, move the treat away.
- Now hold the treat close to his head.
- When his eyes and nose start to follow the treat, give him a command like ‘sit’ in a calm voice.
- As soon as he sits, give him the treat.
Keep in mind that you give him a command in a soft voice so that he will follow your command and learn the behavior. Your harsh voice can frighten him, and he may not learn the behavior.
Leave me a comment if you have any question,
share this post if you wish,
and grab your copy of my free ebooks below.
Housam Ayouni "Samayo"